PE & Sports Premium
Pensby Primary School annually utilises the PE grant in a number of ways to promote a variety of sports across the school. Each year we consider the impact of the PE curriculum and the impact of the previous years PE Premium spend. The DFE states that conditions of the PE grant are:
The premium must be spent by schools on making additional and sustainable improvements to the provision of PE and sport for the benefit of all pupils to encourage the development of healthy, active lifestyles. The Secretary of State does not consider the following expenditure as falling within the scope of additional or sustainable improvement:
- Employing coaches or specialist teachers to cover planning preparation and assessment (PPA) arrangements<https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-teachers-pay-and-conditions-2015> – these should come out of schools’ core staffing budgets
- Teaching the minimum requirements of the national curriculum PE programmes of study – including those specified for swimming
The minimum requirements from the PE programme of study are:
All schools must provide swimming instruction either in key stage 1 or key stage 2.
In particular, pupils should be taught to:
- Swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- Use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- Perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations
The use of the some PE grant in our school for swimming is IN ADDITION to the minimum requirements of the programmes of study. It:
- Provides swimming instruction to all school pupils across 3 key stages (EYFS, KS1 and KS2) annually
- Trains and teaches pupils not only correct stroke use, but the correct breathing techniques required to swim, so enabling them to swim stronger and longer
- Promotes aspects of PSED including development of resilience, independence and confidence
- Allows children access to high quality coaching annually who would otherwise be unable to access this due to social and/or financial constraints
Pensby Primary School uses a small amount of the PE Premium to fund additional swimming lessons for all pupils from Year 1 through to year 6. We are fortunate that we access to swimming facilities on site to enable us to do this.
We are committed to giving all our pupils access to as many sports and activities as possible and we want these to be wide and interesting so that they sustain an enjoyment of physical activity. Over the years we have used the PE Premium to employ sports coaches and teachers as well as train all our clasroom staff. We adapt, change and develop these professsionals deliberately to capture the interest and curiosity of the children and staff.
Our annual PE and Sport reports can be downloaded here:
Keeping your child safe online
The pandemic saw an increased online presence for everyone and this included young children. It is...